You might have heard about this particular food in K-dramas, for example in ‘You’re Beautiful’. For this Friday Food, we’re going to be discussing a popular dish that Koreans may have on their birthday! It’s quite simple to make and when paired with various side dishes, it can make a healthy and delicious meal! In the step-by-step recipe video done by YouTuber Chonunmigooksaram, you will only need 4 ingredients to make the seaweed soup (Miyeokguk).
This includes the obvious choice, dried seaweed where you may be able to find in your local supermarket in the global foods section or possibly in your local Asian grocery store. But if it isn’t available in your area, then you can always purchase it online on Amazon! You will also need soy sauce, sesame oil and seasalt and as an extra option, you could also add in tofu.
- Soak a couple of ounces of dried seaweed in water for around 20 minutes.
- Cut up the seaweed once it has expanded and then heat up your pan with one to two teaspoons of sesame oil and saute the seaweed.
- Transfer the seaweed into a saucepan and fill it just enough to cover the seaweed.
- Add in one to two teaspoons of soy sauce, to give the soup a slight brown colour and add in a pinch of salt – though it’s all down to your own preference if you want to add more or less depending on the taste around the 10 minute mark.
- Megan’s advice for if it isn’t salty enough, don’t add more soy sauce instead add more salt. Once the soup starts to boil, turn down the heat to low for 20 minutes!
- This part is optional, you could add in some tofu to add in some extra texture to the soup 5 minutes before the soup has finished cooking and then you are done! You can serve this with rice and other traditional Korean side dishes like Kimchi.
You can watch the recipe below to see it step-by-step if you wanted to give this a try! We’ll be sure to give to have a go at making this too.
Latest posts by Kristine Phillips (see all)
- [NEWS] James surpasses his Kickstarter goal for his 1st EP and M/V! - February 13, 2018
- [NEWS] This Is 2NE1 Playlist has officially been added to Spotify! - February 13, 2018
- [EVENT] University of Sheffield to hold Korean culture day in March! - February 9, 2018