The nominations for the Seoul International Drama Awards have been announced, and this year sees nominations going to countries all across Europe.
The 10th year of the awards has widened its global reach and incorporated a number of new awards. The Awards’ secretary-general Kim Jonghwa said this of the global expansion efforts:
“The past 10 years have seen a big change in world drama, whereas in the past, only dramas from a handful of countries such as the U.S. or Japan were introduced to the world, now, we are seeing work from a wide variety of countries.”
A total of 24 drama series and 25 directors, screenwriters and actors have been nominated as finalists from 212 submissions from over 48 countries.
The foreign finalists have this year been aired on four major Korean channels (KBS, MBC, SBS and EBS) ahead of the award ceremony on the 10th September, to allow local viewers to see them beforehand.
Before the ceremony a Global Drama Forum takes place, this year’s guest speaker will be American actor Milo Ventimiglia, Chosen, a Crackle original series staring and produced by the actor, is currently playing on AXN in Korea.
Korean dramas such as Misaeng, Bad Guys and Yuna’s Street, and American shows such as Empire and Jane The Virgin have all garnered nominations alongside the following UK and European nominations:
- Naked Among Wolves [Germany]
- Starfighter [Germany]
- The Self Lover [Czech Republic]
- We Did It For The Money [Germany]
- Woman Under Influence [France]
- Acquitted [Norway]
- Old Money [Austria]
- Wolf Hall [UK]
- Cherry Season [Turkey]
- Manfred Sletzer [We Did It For The Money – Germany]
- Jaroslav Brabec [The American Letters – Czech Republic]
- Jens Urban [We Did It For The Money – Germany]
- Siv Ranjendram Eliassen & Anna Bache-Wig [Acquitted – Norway]
- Engin Akyurek [Black Money Love – Turkey]
- Florian Lukas [We Did It For The Money – Germany]
- Ozge Gurel [Cherry Season – Turkey]
- Simona Stašová [The Self Lover – Czech Republic]
- Lena Andre [Acquitted – Norway]
We’re excited to see which European dramas scoop their awards & we’ll certainly bring you news of any winners after the ceremony!